PAWPRINTS DOG RESCUE JOB DESCRIPTION – CHARITY SHOP MANAGER
Responsible to: Pawprints Dog Rescue Board of Trustees
Main Purpose of the Post
Effective management of all aspects of the day-to-day running of the Pawprints Dog Rescue charity shop and volunteers working within the shop with the aim of achieving optimum profit by maximising sales and controlling direct shop expenses.
The Shop Manager is authorised to liaise directly with suppliers, Local Authority and other agencies, Pawprints Dog Rescue volunteers and any other organisations that might be necessary in the performance of these duties. He/she is also authorised to liaise with the Trustees in order to maintain up to date information and materials as part of the Pawprints Dog Rescue information section.
Pay & Holidays
£15,000 – £17,000 per annum depending on experience. 28 days holiday including Bank Holidays.
Hours of Work
Working over 5 days including Saturdays from 9-5pm with half an hour for lunch.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that the shop sales performance is maximized, maintaining extremely high standards of stock quality control, actively seeking ways to improve the shop’s performance on a continual basis.
- Ensuring the necessary waste and rag collections are carried out, donations are processed and the shop remains clear of clutter.
- Responsibility for cash handling, banking and associated administration, ensuring that all till operations are carried out in accordance with Pawprints Dog Rescue policies and procedures.
- Maintaining excellent visual merchandising standards within the shop, and attractive, themed window displays.
- Responsibility for security, opening and closing of the shop and keeping a strict list of key holders.
- Ensure that a high level of housekeeping is followed by everyone working on the premises, both on the shop floor and in the back office, creating an environment that is pleasant and safe for customers, shop staff and volunteers.
- Management of all aspects of stock collection and preparation, ensuring stock processing levels are sufficient to achieve required shop floor density, encouraging stock donations at all times. Adhering to the established sorting, pricing and merchandising policies and standards to enforce stock rotation.
- Conduct a monthly stock check of bought in goods (such as Pawprints Dog Rescue branded items) and producing a stock valuation for auditing purposes.
- At all times demonstrating excellent customer service, always promoting good practice within the shop and providing guidance, feedback and coaching to the shop team as required, notifying the Trustees of and dealing with customer complaints both effectively and efficiently
- Educating the public and promoting the good name of the Rescue, in general, through the effective use of information, campaign and promotional material in the shop.
- Organising and managing in-store events, some of which may include Pawprints Dog Rescue dogs and dogs belonging to members of the public attending the events.
- Setting up standard operating procedures and managing the supported employment and other structured volunteer placements.
- Complying with Pawprints Dog Rescue policies, particularly in relation to shop security and health & safety regulations and the completion of general administration tasks to required deadlines. This includes informing the Board of Trustees of any areas of non-compliance.
- Working in conjunction with the Board of Trustees, to ensure compliance with Charity law, Trading regulations, Trading Standards, Inland Revenue, VAT, Retail Law, Society Policy and best practice.
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers to ensure the efficient running of the shop, and to encourage team building and an active involvement in shop duties. Utilising volunteers appropriately within the shop to ensure that it can open for the agreed hours and operate to minimum standards.
- Meeting the required performance standards and targets, motivating, managing and supporting volunteers in the achievement of Key Performance Indicator targets.
- Producing and managing 4-weekly Rota’s for shop teams to ensure sufficient cover on peak trading days, weekends and seasonal periods. This includes collaborating with the Trustees to ensure managerial cover for holidays and sickness.
- Presenting a positive and professional image to customers, staff and volunteers at all times, being an ambassador for Pawprints Dog Rescue.
- Attending and undertaking any relevant training, events or meetings as required, playing an active role in such events
- Participating in any media and/or public relations events, as required, in support of the Communications Strategy. In liaison with the Trustees, facilitate good media coverage about matters regarding the shop.
- Undertaking all duties safely and in a way that values others, does not discriminate and promotes equality.
This job description summarises the main duties and responsibilities of the post; the post holder may be required to undertake other appropriate duties, which are within his/her capabilities or for which training has been given.