Save the date! Sunday 14th May is the day of our annual Fun Dog Show.
Pawprints Dog Rescue is thrilled to announce that we are opening our first shop in Rugby.
This is a huge step forward for our small, local, volunteer-run charity and has been enabled by the fantastic support we have received from the local community since we started rescuing dogs in the area in 2011.
Our shop is an important part of our fundraising strategy to enable us to continue rescuing dogs and to grow our operation further so we can make an even bigger positive impact.
We’re now collecting good quality clothes, pairs of shoes, accessories and bric-a-brac to sell in our shop, so if you are about to have a spring clean, please think of us!
16 Albert Street
PAWPRINTS DOG RESCUE JOB DESCRIPTION – CHARITY SHOP MANAGER
Responsible to: Pawprints Dog Rescue Board of Trustees
Main Purpose of the Post
Effective management of all aspects of the day-to-day running of the Pawprints Dog Rescue charity shop in and volunteers working within the shop with the aim of achieving optimum profit by maximising sales and controlling direct shop expenses.
The Shop Manager is authorised to liaise directly with suppliers, Local Authority and other agencies, Pawprints Dog Rescue volunteers and any other organisations that might be necessary in the performance of these duties. He/she is also authorised to liaise with the Trustees in order to maintain up to date information and materials as part of the Pawprints Dog Rescue information section.
Pay & Holidays
£15,000 – £17,000 per annum depending on experience. 28 days holiday including Bank Holidays.
Hours of Work
Working over 5 days including Saturdays from 9-5pm with half an hour for lunch.
The shop is located in Rugby town centre.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that the shop sales performance is maximized, maintaining extremely high standards of stock quality control, actively seeking ways to improve the shop’s performance on a continual basis.
- Ensuring the necessary waste and rag collections are carried out, donations are processed and the shop remains clear of clutter.
- Responsibility for cash handling, banking and associated administration, ensuring that all till operations are carried out in accordance with Pawprints Dog Rescue policies and procedures.
- Maintaining excellent visual merchandising standards within the shop, and attractive, themed window displays.
- Responsibility for security, opening and closing of the shop and keeping a strict list of key holders.
- Ensure that a high level of housekeeping is followed by everyone working on the premises, both on the shop floor and in the back office, creating an environment that is pleasant and safe for customers, shop staff and volunteers.
- Management of all aspects of stock collection and preparation, ensuring stock processing levels are sufficient to achieve required shop floor density, encouraging stock donations at all times. Adhering to the established sorting, pricing and merchandising policies and standards to enforce stock rotation.
- Conduct a monthly stock check of bought in goods (such as Pawprints Dog Rescue branded items) and producing a stock valuation for auditing purposes.
- At all times demonstrating excellent customer service, always promoting good practice within the shop and providing guidance, feedback and coaching to the shop team as required, notifying the Trustees of and dealing with customer complaints both effectively and efficiently.
- Educating the public and promoting the good name of the Rescue, in general, through the effective use of information, campaign and promotional material in the shop.
- Organising and managing in-store events, some of which may include Pawprints Dog Rescue dogs and dogs belonging to members of the public attending the events.
- Setting up standard operating procedures and managing the supported employment and other structured volunteer placements.
- Complying with Pawprints Dog Rescue policies, particularly in relation to shop security and health & safety regulations and the completion of general administration tasks to required deadlines. This includes informing the Board of Trustees of any areas of non-compliance.
- Working in conjunction with the Board of Trustees, to ensure compliance with Charity law, Trading regulations, Trading Standards, Inland Revenue, VAT, Retail Law, Society Policy and best practice.
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers to ensure the efficient running of the shop, and to encourage team building and an active involvement in shop duties. Utilising volunteers appropriately within the shop to ensure that it can open for the agreed hours and operate to minimum standards.
- Meeting the required performance standards and targets, motivating, managing and supporting volunteers in the achievement of Key Performance Indicator targets.
- Producing and managing 4-weekly Rota’s for shop teams to ensure sufficient cover on peak trading days, weekends and seasonal periods. This includes collaborating with the Trustees to ensure managerial cover for holidays and sickness.
- Presenting a positive and professional image to customers, staff and volunteers at all times, being an ambassador for Pawprints Dog Rescue.
- Attending and undertaking any relevant training, events or meetings as required, playing an active role in such events.
- Participating in any media and/or public relations events, as required, in support of the Communications Strategy. In liaison with the Trustees, facilitate good media coverage about matters regarding the shop.
- Undertaking all duties safely and in a way that values others, does not discriminate and promotes equality.
This job description summarises the main duties and responsibilities of the post; the post holder may be required to undertake other appropriate duties, which are within his/her capabilities or for which training has been given.
To apply, please send your up to date CV, along with a covering letter for the attention of the Trustees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pets at Home & Support Adoption for Pets continue to work together helping all animal based charities including Pawprints Dog Rescue. Their winter/Christmas fundraising drive takes place throughout December.
Team PDR will be at both Daventry and Leamington Pets at Home stores on Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th December from 11am. The following weekend, Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th December, Team PDR will be at the Rugby branch of Pets at Home from 11am.
Pets at Home / Support Adoption for Pets have supported Pawprints previously with donations enabling the purchase of the Pawprints van and a donation towards creating a treatment room and 2 isolation kennels.
If you are able to pop down and show your support that would be fantastic. There will be fun and games at all events and pets are welcomed in stores so bring along your furry friend to say hello.
Once again the Barley Mow in Newbold has offered to hold a quiz night to raise valuable funds for Pawprints. Please come along and join in the fun. Quiz starts promptly at 8pm on Tuesday 22nd November.
Pawprints have been nominated for an award of up to £25,000 in the Aviva Community Fund competition.
Please can we ask for your amazing support again!
To help us through to the finals, you need to click on the link, register and cast up to 10 votes each. That’s it, it really is that simple.
Voting closes on 18th November and the finalists will be judged by a panel as to which charities will receive funding. Can we do it again? With your help, we think so! Please support us.
Many of you may be aware Pawprints very own Trustee, Trisha Shaw, was nominated in the Britain Has Spirit awards. As well as her invaluable work for Pawprints, Trisha is a volunteer for Dog Lost and recently helped reunite her 100th dog.
The competition, run by Together Mutual Insurance, recognises people who have made a difference in their local community. The prize was a massive £25,000 donated to the Charity of the winners choice. This money would make a huge difference to Pawprints Dog Rescue and help save the lives of so many more dogs. Voting was by the public via Facebook and each person could vote every 24 hours.
Trisha successfully made it through the regional side of the competition and the next stop was the Nationals. Yesterday, Sunday 25th September, Trisha, the other Trustees, family and friends travelled to London to attend the awards ceremony.
We are absolutely thrilled to announce, that Trisha won the National round and the £25,000. Trisha and Pawprints would like to thank everyone who voted for her during the 2 rounds and helping win the prize. We are bowled over by the support everyone has shown and are truly touched once again.
Trisha said: “We had a great day and helped reunite 2 dogs on the journey to London. We have achieved this fantastic thing together and I so grateful. We can make a difference for lots more dogs. Please, keep supporting your local rescues, they need your help.”
Anita says: “We would like to thank Trisha for choosing us as her designated charity and say a huge thank you to all of you for helping to get her there. What a great start to the week!”